On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 4:00 PM Duke Normandin <dukeofp...@gmx.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 15:53:56 +1100
> Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > Good to know! This Pike noob was getting worried! It just
> > > seemed to me - at first glance - that Pike should be as popular
> > > in the Web development domain as Ruby for example. I was
> > > beginning to think that Pike was all but buried!
> >
> > Hmm, Pike's a bit more niche than Ruby, so it's never going to be
> > quite as popular or as visible. But it is incredibly useful, and
> > as such, won't die easily :)
>
> Out of curiosity, what IS Pike's niche? For some reason I always
> supposed that it was web back-ends.

That and MUD servers, largely. It's also very good at eternal uptime
(since it makes on-the-fly updates easy). I use Pike for my MUD
server, my MUD client, my Twitch channel bot, and a variety of other
things. Of course, it's also a general-purpose language with a rich
standard library, so there'll be times when it's the right choice even
if it isn't specifically its niche (for example, I have a savefile
analyzer for Europa Universalis IV written in Pike, partly to take
advantage of socket services and async I/O, and partly because of the
LR Parser module).

> BTW, IS there an IRC channel for Pike users?

Not sure. I don't use IRC, other than for my Twitch bot.

ChrisA