Geoffrey Furnish writes:
 > But now, make install fails:
 >
 > Install the project...
 > -- Install configuration: ""
 > CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
 > .../plplot/tmp2/cmake_install.cmake:35:
 > FILE cannot create directory: /share/doc/plplot. Maybe need administrative
 > privi
 > leges.
 > Current CMake stack:
 > /home/furnish/icfdev/prefix-icf/plplot/tmp2/cmake_install.c
 > make
 > make: *** [install] Error 255

So this did turn out to be stupidity on my part, sorry to have bothered
others with it.  There was a mistake in my cmake invocation script which was
botching my prefix for those builds.  I could imagine the usefulness of a
check at cmake-time that would notice if the user had write authority to the
directories where the install target is going to want to put stuff.  But in
any event, it was clearly my own fault, not an issue with the PLplot CBS.