On 2008-02-07 19:51-0000 Andrew Ross wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:37:01AM -0800, Alan Irwin wrote:
>>
>> I will deal with the python single-precision issue later.
>>
>> Thus, from my perspective it appears we are ready for the PLplot release
>> this weekend.
>
> I have just one more issue related to building the documentation. If I
> build it on my Debian or Ubuntu systems all the ligatures in the pdf get
> messed up. This starts with the ff in Geoff on the title page - rather
> embarasing. This is an encoding problem. Rafael has committed a patch for
> Debian (debian/patches/09_pdftex-EC-encoding.dpatch) to fix this by
> changing the encoding file EC.enc to ec.enc. This works for me.
> Apparently the change is as a result of the file name changing in the
> switch from tetex to texlive.
>
> Before commiting this to the main archive I wanted to check what
> happened on other people's systems - in particular Hazen who gets to
> build the documentation for each release.

I still have access to a Debian sarge system, and the file location there
is /usr/share/texmf/dvips/base/EC.enc while for Debian testing the file
location is /usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/enc/dvips/base/ec.enc.

As part of a different investigation off-list with Hazen, I recently saw the
results of his documentation build on the dedicated Debian system (sarge?)
that he uses to build our documentation for the website.  Apparently, that
system still uses EC.enc.  You can see the results of that doc build at the
newly uploaded
http://plplot.sourceforge.net/docbook-manual/plplot-html-5.9.0/, and the
"Geoff" ligatures look OK to my eyes.

>From other off-list discussions with Hazen, I think it is going to be a
while before he reinstalls that system with modern Debian so probably the
best way to deal with this issue is to use our build system to configure
either EC.enc or ec.enc depending on what is available on the system (with a
direct check of the above location for EC.enc, and if it isn't there assume
the file is called ec.enc).

Accordingly I configured all the changes that are in the Debian patch in
revision 8241 using the above simple test, and the resulting ligatures in
plplot-5.9.0.pdf look good on my Debian testing system.

Hazen will you test that it works for you on your old Debian platform (i.e.,
doc/docbook/src/pdftex.map is configured with EC.enc on your system)? Also,
will you double-check by looking for any strange-looking ligatures (the "ff"
in Geoff's name) in plplot-5.9.0.pdf.

Thanks, Geoff, for having such a testworthy name.  :-)

TIA