Werner Smekal wrote:

Hi Arjen,

No, MinGW (official and unofficial) doesn't provide a bash like shell or something similar. I assume, that if you install (official) MSYS you will be asked, where the MinGW directory is, and that you can use MSYS also with the unofficial MinGW package. Otherwise just open the Windows CLI and set the paths correctly. I wrote some lines about that in the wiki:

http://www.miscdebris.net/plplot_wiki/index.php?title=Setup_mingw

section Setup. If this doesn't work, or is unclear, let me know, since I want people to easily be able to follow the instructions.
Hi Werner,

I read that section - we should probably elaborate the text a bit: I was under the
impression that this would give you a complete MinGW environment, but you
do need to get Msys separately. Also the file mingwvars.bat gets overwritten
by the installer - with some syntax that was completely new to me (~dp0 IIRC
to indicate the install directory). Under Msys the c:/mingw/bin syntax for the
PATH does not work - you need to use /c/mingw/bin.

Anyway, here is the situation right now:
1. I have installed the make utility from MinGW/TDM. Renamed mingw32-make.exe
   to make.exe
2. I have added the MinGW/bin directory to my PATH under Msys
3. which make gives that particular make.exe, so that seems to be fine (the compilers
   are also available)
4. CMake however complains that it can not find a proper build utility.

I will have to investigate this further - CMake worked perfectly under my old installation.

Regards,

Arjen