On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:01:45PM -0400, Dennis McCunney wrote:
> > Shouldn't they be removed altogether? Preveting copy is
> > encouraging DRM. DRM should be flushed down the toilets.
>
> Won't happen.  There are too many folks who are trying to make a living on
> intellectual property, and want _some_ way of insuring they get paid for
> what they do.

I write documentation and get paid for that - sometimes.
I would not be confortable with making a living of DRM. It may means
more money, but in the end it would restrict other people freedom.

Instead of work depending on the restriction of freedom, I prefer
no work at all or unqualified work. I'm lucky I don't have to take such
a decision right now and can pick up the work I like but sorry I do have
some ethics.

If you take a work you don't like just for the money there's a nice word
to describe that - not quite polite however.

> Ask any author who has books in electronic format how they feel about
> unrestricted distribtion of their copyrighted work without thier permission.

Ask me. I'm fine with that - the businesses may not but it's their job
to choose a new business model, not mine.

> Intellectual property is _property_, just as material objects are.
> Redistribution of copyrighted intellectual property with the express
> permission of the rights holder is _theft_, pure and simple.

As a member of the GNU project ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) I have a different
opinion. Intellectual property only exists because the founding fathers
thought it would help promoting science and knowledge. That's the goal.

IP is just a mean to reach that goal. If it can be reached in other
ways, with added benefits for the public (such as free redistribution)
why should we keep the old schemes??

--
 Guylhem P. Aznar
 Now *@externe.net ([EMAIL PROTECTED]>@metalab.unc.edu->@7un.org->@externe.net)