Dennis McCunney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's not entirely a myth, unfortunately.

Show me the numbers.  Real numbers, not the abstract estimates of publishers
associations.  Find a particular piece of restricted work and detect a
disturbance in the sales series at the point where an illegally derestricted
electronic version hit the net.

[...]
> But in the case of Baen (and other success stories for the freely shared
> model) one important bit of my argument is common: the creators _gave
> permission_ for it to happen.  It was done with thier knowledge and consent.

Indeed.  My point is that content creators will do well to authorise their
fans to promote them to their friends in this way.  If they don't, they are
ultimately harming their own revenue and playing into the hands of the large
corporations.

Breaking a law is breaking a law, even if it is unjust.  It should not be
taken lightly, but this is an illegality that should not even exist.
Creators, help yourselves by inviting others to help themselves!

MJR