What did you dist upgrade from? If it was Ubuntu 17.10 you are probably
running Wayland, which is most likely the problem. They reverted back to
Xorg with 18.04, but if you upgraded from 17.10 it may have carried Wayland
as the default from that. Wayland breaks many things, not the least of
which is the screensaver API.