Compiz makes your desktop look cool.

Compiz can break certain applications.

As an analogy, if we compare VLC to a website... then Compiz is a module you enable in the web server to add graphical effects to VLC.

Now imagine if this web server module that you enable in http.conf was integrated into the webserver, and impossible to disable. That is what ubuntu did with compiz. They included the graphical effects system at a level that can't be turned off. This results in applications such as VLC encountering problems that go back 10 years, because control over how the video is rendered to the screen has been taken away from the video player.

I hope that clarifies it. This is a topic worth keeping tabs on because it directly affects how server-side data is presented to the user on the client side.