Thanks all for trying, I really appreciate it.

I am now confused, on the top of just not knowing.
I guess, I was naive to seek simple functional description after seeing
all those mountains of buzzwords on compiz.org.

It gets even worse with more unknown stuff such as Aero and Mac OS -
GPU and openGL. Those are not good reference points to me. I guess, it
has something to do with 3D, triangles, polygons, vertexes, fills, etc.
as in when you want to fill a window frame in games before it gets
passed to compositor for screen frame assembly? Or am I completely off
track? I thought X does that window decorations and screen frame
assembly work.

Anyway, thanks again for trying - I thought that it would be easy to
just ask. It always is. :-)

It seems that I would have to spent some non trivial time learning
about stuff I am not currently that much interested in. I am server,
web service, engineering and data junkie kind of a guy - html5, svg,
gnuplot, R, Qt, .... can display any data I can think of at the moment.

This is completely unfamiliar area to me.

Cheers, Tomas