If you have one of those usb sound cards (even cheap $5 will do) - try to
feed the sound through one of them. If that helps, like it helped me - it
is probably caused by fluctuating power supply when your cron job runs.

In my case, disk or network activity will cause it. On thinkpad, it is also
caused by external mouse movements.

My solution is combination of usb sound dongle and selective hearing.

Hope it helps,
Tomas