On 06/29/2020 09:37 AM, David Bridges wrote:
There is a difference between the installer and installing packages on
an installed system.

That is the *CRUX* of the situation. I already have absolute control over adding new packages to an existing system.

I want that level of control during *INITIAL* system install.

It looks like you can change the behavior.  Checking the apt
configuration on a fairly new install of mine I see that recommended
packages is enabled.

root@jekyll:~# apt-config dump | grep Recommends
APT::Install-Recommends "1";

It looks like you can override that behavior but creating a new file
in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d with something like the following.

APT::Install-Recommends "0";

Might help, might not.

--
David