On 06/30/2020 09:58 AM, David Bridges wrote:
On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 05:57 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 06/29/2020 09:37 AM, David Bridges wrote:
There is a difference between the installer and installing packages
on
an installed system.

That is the *CRUX* of the situation. I already have absolute control
over adding new packages to an existing system.

I want that level of control during *INITIAL* system install.

A quick search for debian installer disable recommends provided your
answer to me in the third hit.  ;)

Well not the complete answer but if one knows how to pass boot
parameters when booting the install media you can easily accomplish
what it seems you want to do.

FWIW the link is to the boot parameters section of the Buster
installation guide so reading the Debian documentation could have
provided the same answer.

To disable installing recommended applications you can do the
following.

Boot install media
Press the escape key
at the boot: prompt type the following
expert base-installer/install-recommends=false

I tried and and unselected everything in the package selection screen
except for standard system utilities.  The install completed without
installing recommended applications and also set APT::Install-
Recommends "false"; in the new system.

If it still installs more than what you want good luck on your quest.

Good try <chuckle>
There are unproductive threads of mine at
and
   https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2020/06/msg00021.html

I'm now pursuing Nat Taylor's suggestion of MX Linux.