- Switching from a non LMS based Spotify Connect enabled player to a
     Squeezebox Radio does not work.

I'm rather sure this isn't true, or I'd have many more complaints. Because this would basically mean Connect didn't work at all.

Instead of continue to play Spotify
     stops, chooses "This iPhone" as player and sets volume to 0. I
     attached the log 24546 but can't see anything in
     it.

From your log file I don't even see the Connect session being started. Is the file incomplete? I see Spotty activity 7s after LMS start. But it's not Connect activity. It rather looks as if you started playback from LMS, while the track in the queue was started from Connect _before_ LMS was started.

Would playback fail if you re-started playback from Spotify?

--

Michael