BBC Apps and web site originally only went back 7 days so the external
feed matched. Then everything else got upgraded to 30 days and the
external feed we use got left as it was. I don't believe it was any more
complicated than that, apart from possible complications that third
party(ies) seem to be involved in maintaining the external feed and may
not have wanted to do any work to upgrade it. There may also have been
concerns that some third party equipment couldn't handle 30 days of data
on the external feed, maybe enough new hardware is out there now that
this is no longer a concern?

Personally I suspect some of the third party hardware manufacturers that
use the external feed pushed for this. They probably didn't like that
BBC Apps and web site could do 30 days and their internet radio hardware
players could not.