Pascal Hibon wrote:
> I honestly have no idea.
> CD's ripped with iTunes always work fine with piCorePlayer. Files bought
> through Qobuz sometimes don't want to play on piCorePlayer while they
> play just fine in iTunes. When that happens I simply have iTunes rewrite
> the file. After that, they play fine on piCorePlayer.
> I can't remember the exact phrasing but someone on this forum (a long
> time ago) mentioned that ALAC files can be constructed in different
> ways. And piCorePlayer seems to be picky at how they are constructed.
MP4 (doesn't matter which codec) files can be streamable or not -
streamable have an index into the the audio stream at the start (i.e. a
table of pointers to where in the file the audio stream starts and
various time points) - if this index is at the end (usually done by
single pass encoders)  then if the file is streamed to an ALAC/AAC
capable player - the player doesnt know where the audio begins until the
end of the file is sent.

Rewriting the file with a two pass encoder usually puts the index at the
start of the file.

ffnpeg calls "streamable" - "mov flags faststart" as "mov" is an MP4
atom for the audio part.