Not to sidetrack the discussion of the development version, which is
working great for me (perceptually at least as fast, even with a list of
2800 albums -- running LMS 7.9.4 on Windows 10), but I have found a
small issue (in both the master and development versions) that has been
around a while, but I have neglected to mention:

I have Material set to sort by Artist, Year, Album in all relevant
views. However, when viewing My Music > Years > [any year], I get
sorting by Album. The Sort By option doesn't work there (I can pick one,
but it isn't applied; neither does it display my choice by filling in
the radio button).

I checked in the standard LMS skin -- there, the albums are correctly
sorted according to my choice.

It's not a view that I use often (and the list for any year is
relatively short), so it's not a big issue.