I was a bit curious, and due to the recent discussion about streaming
AAC using Spotty, I thought I would try to see if I could create a
custom convert rule for SPT->AAC that could be used by Spotty - as an
experiment. Again, this is not an important issue, but I was curious
nevertheless... In a nutshell I could not get it to work, and I am
stumped. I tried using both faac and ffmpeg to do the spt->aac
transcoding, and I encountered essentially the same failure in both
cases: the conversion appears to be taking place, but not in
"real-time." The conversion of each track in a Spotify playlist begins,
at least I see thousands of frames converted, but they are not streaming
to the player. I don't see error messages, I just see the player jump
from track to track, attempting to play a few seconds each time, before
jumping to the next one in the list.

There is most likely something quite basic here that I do not
understand:

spt aac * *
# RT:{START=--start-position %s}
[spotty] -n Squeezebox -c "$CACHE$" --single-track $URL$ --bitrate
320 --disable-discovery --disable-audio-cache $START$ | [faac] -r -P -b
320 -o - -

The rule for using ffmpeg to do the transcoding to AAC is considerably
more complex, and also appears to be transcoding successfully, but the
end result is the same, in that nothing is being piped or flushed out of
the transcoder in real-time.

*Living Room:* SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU >
VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans
cables > B&W 804 speakers
*Laptop:* System76 Galago + Ubuntu 16.04 + Squeezelite +
Vivaldi/Material Skin > Emotiva Little Ego DAC > Grado PS500 headphones
*Bedroom:* RPi Zero W + Squeezelite > miniBOSS DAC HAT > Bose SoundLink
Revolve
*Phone:* Pixel 3a + SB Player + Material APK > Senn IE80 earbuds
*Server:* Puget Systems Serenity + Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 8.2