mrw wrote:
> I've attached some Radio logs that I was able to capture. They may or
> may not be helpful, but you might as well have them available.
>
> As you will see, from the Community firmware the predominate messages
> are, in the main -DEBUG  audio.codec - decode_aac_callback_heaac:141 not
> enough bits-.
> The first log is not so clear, but I did not have full access before the
> Radio rebooted itself. We may just be seeing some 'last gasps'.
>
> Of interest, I think, is the Standard firmware log. Here we see -DEBUG
> audio.codec - src/decode_aac.c:124 sync error 4096 2148-.
>
> That makes me think the the standard firmware might have a stream
> synchronization step prior to submitting frames to the decoder proper,
> i.e. scanning the incoming stream for something that looks like AAC. Is
> such a step taken in the Community firmware ? I could imagine that a
> pre-scanning loop that glides over obviously duff data might improve
> resilience where a somewhat corrupted stream is present. What does
> -faad- do in terms of attempting synchronization ?
>
> I have no experience of this area.

Thanks for the logs.  They are similiar to what I'm seeing on both the
touch and radio.

I trap on AAC_DEC_TRANSPORT_SYNC_ERROR as well but the newer fdk-aac
decoder it's returning that error for this issue.  Perhaps it's trying
harder to decode the errant stream? but that's just a guess.

The reboot is caused by the watchdog after jive segfaults and exits from
an out-of bounds memory access bug I had in the aac decoder which I
'described earlier'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?113719-1-fm&p=1005538&viewfull=1#post1005538).

In squeezelite, the faad decoder logs this and stops as you'd expect.

Code:
--------------------
    [14:17:11.374585] faad_decode:400 error reading stream header
  [14:17:11.375532] decode_thread:100 decode error]
--------------------

With the patch I posted earlier and is included in the '8.0.1r16826
firmware' (https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/squeezeos/)
the bad data is handled gracefully; radio/touch pops up an error
message, stops and LMS logs;

Code:
--------------------
    [21-01-23 13:04:44.2620] Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::statHandler (149)
Error: 00:04:20:XX:XX:XX: Decoder does not support file format, code 0
--------------------

I have not pushed r16826 to the community firmware repository yet as I'd
like to test it for a bit longer first.

The latest firmware builds also includes the About change we discussed
elsewhere.

Ralphy

*1*-Touch, *5*-Classics, *3*-Booms, *1*-UE Radio
'Squeezebox client builds'
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/) 'donations'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=LL5P6365KQEXN&lc=CA&item_name=Squeezebox%20client%20builds&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_SM%2egif%3aNonHosted)
always appreciated.