When I do comparisons I use ABx testing. This means there are three
samples, and two are identical, ie A=x or B=x.  I have to determine
which two samples are the same.  If I cannot do that, then I conclude my
perception about hearing a difference, or tasting bottle differences in
wine, is wrong.  (Sometimes I notice two bottles of the same wine taste
a little different and I can repeatedly pass a ABx test, but sometimes I
fail the ABx test.)

Your point about listening to the music and not wanting to turn it off
is a good point.  Back when the ipod was the big thing, I could not
listen to my ipod for a more than about a hour.  The sound was harsh to
me. I had to switch back to simple radio on my car.  My current iPad is
acceptable sound while I am driving.

Sorry for detracting from topic of this thread, but my point is be sure
you are actually hearing a difference when making various changes.  I am
not saying you cannot hear a difference, but using the a ABx method is a
better way to validate.