slartibartfast wrote:
> This was an interesting post on their Facebook page from October 2021.
>
> "Hello,as i can see,many people comments about our flac stream quality
> in some pages.Well i have to say that our flac stream is just for
> testing for the moment.Broadcasting in Flac requires also the source
> songs are encoded in Flac,as you have to know that.Most of our songs are
> encoded in mp3 format,so we are upcscaling to Flac format ,to understand
> the differrences.Our song library has a lot of flac format songs,but due
> to bandwitch restricts,we must understand what acctually means if web
> radio streaming deserves hi-res audio.Please comment about."
>
> I wonder if anything has changed since then.
>

> Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Interesting indeed. The comments "most of our songs are encoded in mp3,
so we are upscaling..." and "Our song library has alot of FLAC format
songs..." I guess experimental is right, they must just be testing
bandwidth and other technical stressors. Upscaling mp3 to FLAC does no
good from a listening standpoint (IMO), and most > alot, so maybe the
FLAC stream is not worth Paul maintaining.

It makes me wonder if this (mixed format/upscaling) is the reason you
previously picked up on the dynamic range compression/limiting aspect of
some songs, while at other times/songs sounded normal? I remember
waveforms you presented where it was obvious, then others where it
seemed normal. I remember even commenting "hey, it sounds ok again" and
thought they had corrected the issue....

Jim