esbrewer;512191 Wrote:
> Is the VM option on the iMac just going to threaten the stability of the
> Mac OS system I use for routine tasks?
> Is Windows 7 my best bet for the VM or the new machine?  If so which
> version?
> How much processing power would you guys recommend for an energy
> efficient new machine
A VM will crash gracefully. You can probably limit the amount of CPU it
claims for the VM, so the mac should run undisturbed. However, on a less
than perfect linux host/linux guest system I have, sometimes the guest
can start losing ticks, and obviously that is not too good when playing
music, or relying on alarms (the clock goes off.) I've used Virtualbox
VMs on X.5, with little problems indeed; but YMMV.

I believe the best Windows for a VM is either Win2k or XP. This is a
well-known system, even a good system, IMHO, in the case of w2k. I
wouldn't bet the VMs are as much tested on Vista or 7.
Did you consider running windows natively on the mac ? Bootcamp does
this. Of course you need to reboot if you still want to use OS X.

I wouldn't know how much CPU it takes to run Ingus. The latest mac mini
is an example of power and power efficiency. You could use its 'data'
(http://images.apple.com/environment/reports/docs/Mac-mini_Environmental_Report_20091020.pdf)
as a base. Or use a comparator such as http://www.sust-it.net/

--
epoch1970

Daily dose delivered by: 2 SB Classic (fw 130), 1 SB Boom (fw 50) •
SqueezeCenter 7.3.4 (Debian 5.0) with plugins: ContextMenu,
SaverSwitcher by Peter Watkins • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris •
WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) •
FindArt, CDplayer by bpa • BBC iPlayer, SwitchPlayer by Triode •
PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • TrackStat by Erland Isaksson.