atca wrote:
> Rather confusingly this points the finger to the pipe from shairport to
> ecasound. Does the pipe actually physically write to the disk? the pipe
> is positioned on a RAID5 I wonder if moving it to a ramdisk might help.
Doubt it. named pipe is usually 64k by default and so kept in memory or
paged out.

I suspect a deadlock/process blocking situation such as shairport can't
write as pipe is full up but ecasound won't read as ecasound output is
blocked.

However the above speculation, you need hard evidence. I'd first add in
debugging message on output activity to pipe timestamped with system
time in shairport and also enable ecasound debugging messages to see
what activitity is happening on input and output sides.