I've had this happen on several occasions over wifi (local or remote).
But it has always resolved itself.   I have found that shutting down and
restarting my iphone did seem to resolve it but I haven't a clue if that
actually addressed a real problem or the simple act of trying again a
few minutes later is what worked.

One additional bit of info... I saw this occur recently on my iPad.
iPeng couldn't connect to LMS - couldn't see any of my players.  I tried
shutting iPeng down and restarting it.  Didn't work.  I then launched
Squeezepad and it didn't work either.  Yet the iPad could still see my
network.  A power-down and restart of the iPad, however, seemed to fix
it.   There are certainly more diagnostics I could have tried and will
if it happens again, but much like computers... a cold restart seemed to
do the trick.

I hate it when that seems to be the only solution.  Next thing you know,
I'll be power-cycling my refrigerator when the ice-maker stops working
;-)

Mike (1 SB3, 1 Duet, 2 Touch, & heavy use of iPeng on various iThings)