whitman wrote:
> Well, some interesting behaviour this evening.
>
> First, around 6:30pm, I started Bob Harris On Sunday, R2, BBCiPlayer.
> Stopped dead after about 6 minutes. Immediately restarted it, from the
> beginning: stopped dead about 8 minutes in. Not rebuffering: just a dead
> stop.
>
> Went to BBCiPlayer Extras and started the same show. Ran absolutely fine
> for 45 minutes or so, until I stopped it myself.
>
> About 7:15pm, started Jazz Lineup, R3, on BBC iPlayer. Ran perfectly,
> for 45 minutes or so until I stopped it myself.
>
> About 8:00pm, started Clare Teal, R2, on BBCiPlayer. After 15 minutes or
> so, it stopped dead. Again, no rebuffering, just a sudden halt.
>
> For what it's worth ...

Ok, that is a small sample, but still useful information - so no
BBCiPlayerExtras issue.

The stopping dead with BBCiPlayer (i.e. HLS streams) is something I've
very occasionally noticed. The alpha plugin isn't particularly robust if
any of the chunks of stream get dropped, or take too long to arrive. It
will need a bit of work in the HLS protocol handler code to improve that
-  such that the stream will automatically restart if it has a problem.
It won't prevent 'buffering', but it should be possible to prevent the
stopping dead behaviour. I will have a look when I've got time...