For the last 2 years the BBC turns on and off HD stream for non UK users
depending on the "events" - usually HD was available during the Proms
(May-Sept) and then off until some Christmas events etc. However I did
not play the stream regularly so can only report my occasional testing
of thr streams.

This year it is complicated by the fact the changeover to HLS (and next
DASH).  The BBC relented and created a Shoutcast HD AAC stream (see blog
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/d031b300-721a-4df5-8506-723303f2887e?comments_page=17&initial_page_size=10&filter=none&sortBy=LowestRating&sortOrder=Ascending)
- the BBC also implied they would shutoff the HD stream after the Proms
(as I think they expected to be ready to changeover to DASH).

Triodes BBCiPlayer UK and non UK Live streams has defined URLs which fix
the quality of thr stream.  Currently they are
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_low/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8

So if using Live non UK stream users will alwayds play the lower speed
stream (which happens to tbe the highest available to non uk).

The BBC have set up 4 "sbr rates"  - change the part of the URL
accordingly - sbr_high, sbr_med, sbr_low and sbr_vlow.

For non UK R3 only the "low" rates are available sbr_low is about
128kbits and sbr_vlow which is about 64kbits.