A short update: I am now nearly sure it is a driver issue. I was in
contact with the daphile developer, and his answer regarding
permissions:

> Your problem is definitely not permission related as you log in as root.
> Daphile does not use /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc, so there isn't any
> default audio device defined. You should use ALSA hw interface directly,
> eg. hw:1,0

Further, for understandable reasons he will not support hardware with
old, proprietary drivers. So it's up to me to figure out how to install
the driver for the internal Realtek ALC662 card (or an USB soundcard I
still have, a M-Audio Transit USB, with drivers packed in madfuload).
But I will need to ask in some Gentoo forums, since I know more Debian &
Ubuntu, and it seems to work a bit different...