Hi Brent,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:01:26AM -0800, Brent Van Dussen wrote:

> I wanted to ask about these messages we're getting in the logs now that
> we're using mem tables:
>
> WARN ( prefixes/memory ): Unable to allocate more memory pools, clear
> stats manually!
> WARN ( as_path/memory ): Unable to allocate more memory pools, clear
> stats manually!
>
> What does it mean?  It seems like data is still getting into the mem
> tables.

It means the aggregates that are already in the table will still get
updated as new traffic comes in. But new aggregates will not make it
into the memory structure. Under default settings, it's a protection
mechanism to limit memory allocation. It can be fine tuned by reading
the INTERNALS document or briefly worked around by configuring:

imt_mem_pools_number: 0

If configuring such setting you still see the message above, it means
the process is unable to allocate more memory from the system (either
software or hardware limit).