> On 25 Jun 2018, at 11:54, Alex K <rightkickt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a setup with uacctd monitoring traffic of several interfaces through
> NFLOG.
> With uacctd stopped I see that the server (a relatively small device with 4
> GB of RAM) consumes 450MB of RAM. Once I start uacctd the mem usage goes up
> to 3.5 GB. I am using mysql plugin and this is running on Debian9 64 bit.
>
> Is there any tweaks I can use to put a limit on the memory usage of uacctd.
>
> Thanx,
> Alex

tldr; post the output of the free command when uacctd is running and I’ll do my
best to interpret it for you :-)

Is it _really_ using it, or is it just not completely unused?

The linux kernel generally does pretty good job of keeping stuff that might be
useful in memory, but getting rid of it very very quickly if the space is
needed for something else.
The challenge you face is that most of the userspace tools come with a long
list of caveats about what they appear to report vs what’s really happening,
this is mainly due to the way the kernel shares memory between processes, and
its use of as much memory as possible for various caches.

Some threads worth reading if you’re not familiar with the in’s and out’s of
linux kernel memory management...

https://www.linuxatemyram.com/ <https://www.linuxatemyram.com/>
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4802481/how-to-see-top-processes-sorted-by-actual-memory-usage

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4802481/how-to-see-top-processes-sorted-by-actual-memory-usage>