Let me change the posting style... :)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Dariush Marsh-Mossadeghi <
dari...@gravitas.co.uk> wrote:

> OK, so we’re moving from bottom-posting to top-posting… that’ll make it
> interesting for other readers ;-)
>
> The output of free doesn’t look desperate, but it is starting to look a
> bit tight.
> You’ve got about a gig of buffer/cache, which the kernel will evict if it
> needs it.
> You’ve got 200M of genuinely free memory.
> What is potentially a little concerning is the gig of swap in use, that
> may or may not be a problem depending on what else is running on the box
> and how it’s memory use varies over time.
>
> I’m not intimatley familiar with the internals of uacctd’s mysql plugins,
> but my advice would be:
>
> - Monitor the memory usage. If it doesn’t vary much over time you could go
> on for years and be just fine. Keep a close watch on swap usage, if that
> varies a lot or grows over time you’ll want to do something about it.

Monitoring of last 2 weeks is showing that free mem is fluctuating form 50M
to 220 MB and swaps remains steady. Thats why I am trying to find a
solution.

> - Read up on OOM Killer, what it does and how it behaves. If you see OOM
> Killer entries in your logs, it’s time to think again

I am aware of that. thanx

> - Can you put some more memory in the box? 8GB of RAM will cost you about
> £60. How much is your time worth ?

This is not an option. What I have is 4 GB. This is not just a personal
project. There are going to be thousands of such installations...

HTH
Dariush

On 25 Jun 2018, at 12:32, Alex K <rightkickt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanx for the reply.

The output of free is the following:

free
            total        used        free        shared     buff/cache
available
Mem:        4046572     2832576      152012      784240     1061984
204248
Swap:       3906556     1086080     2820476

While is as below when stopped:

free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available
Mem:        4046572      520352     3223884       14916      302336
3286952
Swap:       3906556      485040     3421516

Seems that mysql plugins are reserving quite some memory as they list first
in htop when sorted with memory.

Thanx,
Alex