On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Cami Sardinha wrote:

> Policyd was test/written for MySQL 4.x. This doesn't mean it
> shouldn't behave the same for v5. Unless i'm mistake (or things have
> changed between versions), using "DELETE QUICK" on an
> auto-incrementing row is where holes (/fragmentation) occurs. This
> was one of the reasons that Policyd has no auto-incrementing
> fields. Is this no longer the case with MySQL v5?

As I understand this, the timestamp columns cause the same problem
that auto-increment columns imply: You have values that drift only one
way (from small to bigger), while old values will never reoccur.  As
far as I understand index structures, that are usually implemented
using some tree structures (don't know how MyISAM implements this
exactly), such a tree will degenerate, which means that the left side
of the tree becomes empty while it grows only to the right (which
means fragmentation and the index performance goes down from some
log() value to something worse because the degenerated, unbalanced
tree reaches a much bigger depth).

> > Also the syslog output is broken, because the timestamps
> > are created by syslogd, which writes to disk nearly a minute after the
> > event happened (had to patch cleanup, now it writes its own timestamps
> > to the log instead of syslog).
>
> You shouldn't have to patch cleanup. What is the output of:
> # cat /etc/syslog.conf  | grep mail

But the problem is, that syslog uses the timestamp when it writes the
line, not when it receives it.  I experienced delay of nearly a minute
here :-( (some I/O trouble I fear).

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
Roland Rosenfeld - Application & Services - Technik
NetCologne Gesellschaft für Telekommunikation mbH  -  HRB 25580, AG Köln