Hi there,

we are currently again running into trouble due to cleanup.

My colleague just tried to check why during cleanup time, all policyd requests
to the SQL database result in "module=bypass".

He found some MySQL document stating that with MyISAM tables, the complete
table gets locked during database operations,
whereas InnoDB type of table would only lock the particular table row (but be
somewhat slower in use).

Could there be some problem, with regards to DB or table locking and policyd
accessing the tables at same time?

It seems regardless of how much power (RAM, CPU) we give to the MySQL server,
the cleanup (once each hour at ca. 8Mio entries in triplet table) takes about
between 3 and up to 10 minutes which is *really* too long as we are hit by a
huge load of spam traffic during unavailability/bypass of the greylist check.

We also do OPTIMIZE TABLE already on a per-night basis.

Autowhitelist is not an option for us - as we see it, this would not really
make the triplet table smaller (still would have 6mio entries in it).

Freundliche Grüsse / Kind regards,

Thomas Mendorf