I read New Scientist, Science, Nature and Scientific American regularly, and my
impression is that there is a major trend in the scientific world linking human
behavior and personality traits with genetic factors.  You haven't noticed
this?  Do you disagree?  This area of research could prove to be most
revolutionary scientific movement in human history to date.

If genetic factors play an important role in influencing ethnic conflicts and
wars, shouldn't we try to figure this out?  I am especially curious to know why
some people seem to be much more ethnocentric in their outlook on the world
than others -- there is something obsessive-compulsive about their behavior
which suggests a genetic origin.  I wouldn't be the least surprised if
scientists discover a human xenophobia gene, or a complex of genes which
produce personality traits like tribalism and xenophobia.

(One can use content analysis to measure the relative ethnocentrism of
individuals and groups -- simply keep track of how many times they mention
their ethnic enemies.)

tigerbengalis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
tim_howells_1000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:

These are areas where the general public has moved far ahead of academia.  Most
people are very comfortable now with the idea that there are genetic and
biological bases for human behavior, and accept this as established fact (quite
appropriately in my view).  Not so in academia, where there are still howls of
outrage over such ideas.  Much of the outrage over MacDonald's work is par for
the course for anyone who accepts these simple facts of life.
 The reason for this major disconnect is obvious.  If you follow through with
these ideas what seems to emerge is a biological and evolutionary basis for
tribalism, ethnocentrism, and racism.  Everyone thinks immediately of Nazi
Germany and the gas chambers, and thinks that we are moving perilously close to
a scientific justification.  Very understandable that the mind would just shut
down at that point!
 Tim Howells

RESPONSE
More examples of Tim's demagoguery. Why would I give a hoot is the "general
public" accepts genetic theories of human behavior or not? These are issues of
science, not public opinion. Quite a few million people believe the Apocalypse
will occur, as written. Should this be given equal time in cosmology journals?

Tim, you give away your pseudoscientific propagandizing when you say "If you
follow through with these ideas what seems to emerge is a biological  and
evolutionary basis for tribalism, ethnocentrism, and racism." Hence, you posit
that we should take an unproven theory--whether Macdonald's, Jensens,
Rushton's--and then conduct an imaginary "follow through" (read: without an
iota of experimental verification) and POOF! what "emerges" is a "biological
and evolutionary basis" fo0r the same unsupported pseudotheory you posited in
the first place!
Thats a tasty pretzel!

Never miss an email again!