On Tue, 2 Apr 2013, David Matthews wrote:

Well, that was the intention behind the changes I made with version 5.0. 5.0 originally only had PolyML.export as the way of exporting the state. PolyML.SaveState was added later.

People have occasionally pointed out to me that the bias of Poly/ML to the good old image dumping looks very alien to the man on the street. Systems like OCaml imitate the compile/link phase of cc more faithfully, which gives many people a better feeling. (I am personally not very excited about how OCaml compilation works.)

One could do a little bit here by including certain polyml options or shell scripts by default, to address both the scripting and the batch-compilation problem in a way that looks familiar to the masses.

Do you has something else in mind apart from PolyML.export? Perhaps some form of separate compilation of modules? I'm not familiar with OCaml.

Actual separate compilation is a different thing. I don't think there is a real need for that in Poly/ML. The compiler is fast enough to compile huge applications from scratch.

Personally I don't have any requirements beyond what Poly/ML does already. What "the man in the street" wants to see, though, is something that looks and feels like "polymlc ..." just like "cc ...", although that might sound a bit silly.

        Makarius