On Fri, 11 Sep 2026 11:29:47 -0400 (EDT)
[email protected] wrote:

> On 2026-09-11 1:30:36, George Koehler wrote:
> > The big differences right now are
> >  - You build all of 7z 7za 7zr 7zz; I build only 7z and symlink the
> >    other 3 names to 7z.  (We both build 7zCon.sfx.)
> 
> Please don't do that.
> There's a reason why 7z has separate programs.
> They are not all the same.

See attachment.  I changed my port to build the separate 7za and 7zr,
but not 7zz.  It neither builds 7zz nor links 7zz to 7z.

[email protected] proved that 7za and 7zr work on OpenBSD.
My binaries of 7za and 7zr don't look too big:

$ ls -lh /usr/local/{bin,lib/7zip}/7z*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  bin   908K Sep 12 20:33 /usr/local/bin/7z
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  bin   2.1M Sep 12 20:33 /usr/local/bin/7za
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  bin   1.5M Sep 12 20:33 /usr/local/bin/7zr
-rw-r--r--  1 root  bin   4.3M Sep 12 20:33 /usr/local/lib/7zip/7z.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  bin   685K Sep 12 20:33 /usr/local/lib/7zip/7zCon.sfx

Compare to others:
 - Void Linux builds 7zz, links 7z 7za 7zr to 7zz.
 - FreeBSD builds 7zz, links 7z to 7zz.
 - pkgsrc builds 7zz.
 - Arch builds 7z 7za 7zr.
 - Fedora builds 7z 7za 7zr 7zz in 4 subpackages.
 - Debian builds 7z 7za 7zr in a subpackage and 7zz in a subpackage.

For OpenBSD, I want 7zip to replace p7zip (which had 7z 7za 7zr), so
7zip must have 7z 7za 7zr.  I care less whether 7za is a link or the
separately built 7za; the difference is that the separate 7za knows
fewer formats: "7z l /bin/sh" lists ELF sections but a separate
"7za l /bin/sh" can't open it.

I don't seem to need 7zz.  x11/mate/engrampa would run 7zz, but can
run 7z instead.
--gkoehler

Attachment: archivers-7zip.tar.gz
Description: Binary data

Reply via email to