General update on the updated port.

It is building, and creating the three flavours (vanilla, mysql, and 
PostgreSQL) without problems. I have installed the vanilla flavour on my DHCP 
server and it seems to be working, after I made a few modifications to the 
configuration (most notably, 2.4 was quite happy for the TSIG secret - for 
dynamic DNS updates - to be stored in the main configuration file; 3.2 insists 
on it being stored separately and referenced from the configuration file. There 
is a command line switch to change the error to a warning, but I opted to fix 
the config.)

Issues/concerns with the current state:
 - Shutting down. Per Stuart Henderson's comments a couple of weeks ago, I have 
tested to see what happens. If I initiate the shutdown fairly soon after the 
server starts, it shuts down cleanly, no problem. If I wait a little bit, it 
seems to sit there. For my purposes, this is good enough, but it's not really 
acceptable for general release. (Logging is fine.)
 - /var/lib vs /var/db (per Antoine's comments.) It looks like Kea is now 
putting everything into /usr/local/var/db/kea. I'm not sure if that would be 
considered acceptable or not. (It looks wrong, but isn't seriously offensive to 
me in the way that putting it in, say, /etc would be.)
 - Currently, configuration files are looked for in /usr/local/etc/kea by 
default. This only really affects keactrl; the keactrl config file can easily 
point at different locations for the actual DHCP server configuration.
 - Runtime sockets currently have to go into /usr/local/var/run/kea.

Other than all of this, it's working fine in my environment. The obvious 
workarounds to the above concerns are acceptable for my use case, but I need a 
bit of feedback/guidance on whether they should be corrected. If they should 
be, I'll continue working on it to try to sort out those remaining issues. (The 
shutting down issue likely will need some fairly deep debugging to try to 
figure out where it's hanging.)

As I've previously said, I'm more than happy to provide the patches (there are 
significant updates to the port Makefile, as well as the patches to the source 
code proper - among other things, Kea now uses meson to build, not autoconf) to 
anybody who wants it, along with the log4cplus patch.

Cheers.

Reply via email to