On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:25:55AM +0800, Wouter van Marle wrote:

> > > You mean like installing sendmail or so in parallel to postfix and then
> > > have sendmail send out the lower-priority mails?
> >
> > No I mean a Postfix "transport", as in transport(5) and master(5).
>
> The problem of a transport map (I have just read the man page, which as
> usual is highly technical so I am not sure whether I fully understand
> the purpose and working of transport maps) is that there is a huge
> overlap between receivers of the low-priority mail list and regular
> e-mail receivers. Most of the regular e-mail receivers also receive this
> mail list.

You may need to do sender-dependent routing for this sender, and inject
the mail into a different queue, or get the originating system to do
this directly.

> > It would not, but you won't saturate the entire link with any given email,
> > leaving enough room for other traffic. If you can limit the concurrency
> > of this particular message, then you'll have some bandwidth left over for
> > other messages.
>
> I don't like that idea very much: when I have only a few mails to send
> out, I want them to go with the maximum speed possible. I have 2 Mbit
> available, so with 100 smtp connections could limit it to say 20 kbit
> per smtp process. But that would leave the rest of my bandwidth idle
> when there are less than 100 active smtp connections, which is the case
> like 90% of the time.

Does limiting bandwidth for small messages signicantly impact delivery
latency? Also who said you should divide the bandwidth 100-fold? You
give the slow transport 5 parallel threads, and up to half the bandwidth,
so each channel gets 10% of the bandwidth.

--
        Viktor.