Nowhere in this thread did you post any logs.

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 02:11:50PM +0300, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> I have just set up an Ubuntu 14.04 and installed postfix using
> aptitude install postfix.
> When I send an e-mail (as root) to a gmail account it arrives
> from root@localhost
>
> I tried to configure it to send as r...@example.com but the
> only way I managed to make it work isn't really right. In
> /etc/postfix/main.cf I had
>
>    myorigin = /etc/mailname
> and /etc/mailname had example.com in it but that did not help.
> I tried setting
>     myorigin = example.com
> and tried
>
>  myorigin = $mydomain
>
> but I still got the mail from root@localhost.

Yes. My guess (without logs that's all we CAN do, guess) is that
whatever software which sent this message set that as a sender
address and From: header.

That guess is consistent with the masquerade_domains report of
success.

> The only way I could convince it to send from r...@example.com
> was to add
>
> 162.243.46.210 example.com
>
> to the /etc/hosts file. This is not really acceptable as
> example.com should resolve to another IP address and not to
> this machine.
>
> Am I doing something incorrectly?

1. Posting here without logs.
2. Posting a general "how do I use email" question here.

> How could I convince postfix to use the content of mydomain
> as the domain name when sending e-mail?

Postfix isn't sending this email, merely transporting it.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/