Okay, I am already using letsencrypt.org for my port 443 traffic. So once I
have it extended to also cover SMPT on port 587, would it be acceptable to
disable port 25, or is port 25 still needed (perhaps to suggest to clients that
it isn't accepting any traffic except 587)

I have to admit, I have no idea how letsencrypt.org works.  For years, I just
made self-signed certificates and it worked okay, until some mover-shaker type
decided we can't do that anymore, and made it brutally difficult to access my
website for typical users.  Out of concern of the same happening to email
clients, I won't make any more self-signed certificates.  I never expected that
letsencrypt.org would support email services as well, so their HOWTO docs for
SMTP encryption is my next stop.

Thanks very much for the tip.