On 28 Nov 2016, at 17:29, rich.gre...@hushmail.com wrote:

I changed it. When I compose and send to an outside domain now, I get an error that hints towards port 25 being strongly preferred over 587.

Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) timothylegg.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.

OK: this implies that you don't have a port 587 submission service running at all. To get one, you need an entry similar to this in your master.cf file:

submission inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
    -o syslog_name=postfix/submit
    -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
    -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
    -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
    -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING

You can see the currently active entries from master.cf with "postconf -Mf" if you're running a reasonably modern version of Postfix.

This has gone far past the point where it is essential for you to heed the recommendations in the last section of the DEBUG_README file (part of the Postfix distribution) which are also sent to new subscribers to this list, regarding how best to effectively seek assistance here. Noel Jones suggested this to you almost 6 hours ago in a message which you replied to, and it is advice which has not gone obsolete in that time.