Okay,

Victor, thanks for the stats in the second email!  That is quite interesting to
read.  I have only recently (this summer) heard of LetsEncrypt.org.  Up until
that point, I had expected that I was condemned by powers-that-be to buy a key
annually forever.

Oh yeah, I love the "smoke and mirrors" comment about letsencrypt.org.  That
was priceless.

I made a few changes in my main.cf

# TLS parameters
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1;
smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/fullchain.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file=/etcletsencrypt/live/example.com/privkey.pem
smtpd_use_tls=yes

I sent a test message from squirrelmail to myself, and it worked.  I tried with
Thunderbird, and it had a problem.

Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail: Unable to establish a secure link with
Outgoing server (SMTP) example.com using STARTTLS since it doesn't advertise
that feature. Switch off STARTTLS for that server or contact your service
provider.

So it suggests that I switch off STARTTLS, which implies that it detected that
it was running, but at the same time, it took issue that it wasn't formally
informed that it was running, which is a bit pedantic.  So I wondered why it
did not advertise that it was enabled.  I telnet'd into my machine on port 25
and after giving EHLO example.com, I saw it right there:

250-STARTTLS

To me, it sure does look like it advertised that feature.

What could be wrong here?