On Wed, Jun 01, 2022 at 01:35:56PM +1000, raf wrote:

> > So what did they do?
> >
> > >   $ postconf -d cyrus_sasl_config_path
> > >   cyrus_sasl_config_path =
> > >   $ postconf cyrus_sasl_config_path
> > >   cyrus_sasl_config_path =
> > >   $ dpkg-query -S /etc/postfix/sasl
> > >   postfix: /etc/postfix/sasl
> >
> > What would make anything look there?
>
> That's a very good question. I have no idea.  I searched for
> /etc/postfix/sasl in all files, not just the executable ones, and
> found nothing that explains it. And there are no symlinks to it,
> either.
>
> The Debian Postfix/SASL wiki page definitely indicates that that
> directory is where Postfix's SASL config files go:
>
>   https://wiki.debian.org/PostfixAndSASL
>
> I experimented to see if /etc/postfix/sasl is really used, and it
> looks like it isn't.  I think that my settings just happen to coincide
> with libsasl2's defaults.

Now it all begins to make sense, the Debian docs are wrong, and the
search path is the default one (in no-way Postfix-specific) compiled
into Cyrus SASL.

And if some distro wants a Postfix-specific location, they'd need to
mess around with symlinks or set "cyrus_sasl_config_path" by compiling
in a different default value, or arranging for an override in main.cf at
install time.

So my suggested doc patch is pretty close, except perhaps that there
are no distros actually doing this???  In which case the doc tweak
can be somewhat different.

--
    Viktor.