On Wed, Jun 01, 2022 at 10:44:51PM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> >No. Perhaps in the past, but no longer. I grepped for
> >/etc/postfix/sasl in every file on a debian11 system
> >and it didn't appear in libsasl2 or anywhere
> >interesting. It did appear in things like saslfinger
> >and apparmor rules and the postfix package file list
> >and augeas-lenses (a config file parser). But nothing
> >in any libsasl files or postfix files.
>
> That setting predates my involvement in Debian's postfix maintenance
> and since I use Dovecot, it isn't something that I test.  It
> definitely used to look in /etc/postfix/sasl and I didn't on purpose
> change it.  I'll add looking into this to my unfortunately long TODO
> for Debian postfix.

If you, the correct implementation would be at the level of install-time
configuration of cyrus_sasl_config_path, to a colon-separated list of
directories, perhaps "/etc/postfix/sasl:/etc/sasl2" or the other order,
which would retain more compatibility with current behaviour (which
looks only in /etc/sasl2).

A more *determined* way to look in /etc/postfix/sasl would be a differet
compile-time default, and a corresponding change to the postconf(5)
manpage documenting the default value.

--
    Viktor.