Richard Mann wrote:

They almost certainly mean shared with peds and white-paint segregated
from peds (as opposed to "track" which the Germans think is completely
segregated).

Yep. I'm sure there's room for more help text and little pop-ups beside particular settings (and, eventually, for country-specific presets, but that's a fair way down the road/cycleway).

I think there should probably be policy, something like the value must
represent >?5% of current uses.

Potlatch is a conscious (collective) act of authorship, not really a democracy. You can't design coherent beginner-friendly software, or documentation, democratically - as the wiki sadly proves.

One of the JOSM developers the other day described Potlatch development as "more autocratic than JOSM" and that's fair comment. We try to preserve the original OSM ethos of hardcore do-ocracy. :)

cheers
Richard