Shell Olson / 2006/03/24 / 07:16 AM wrote:

>There are some people from whom I receive seemingly random characters
>(I'm sure they aren't, but whatever they are seems irrelevant).  Maybe
>Hiro can help me?  Or does this problem occur with other languages, too?
>Certainly one source is users of hotmail.com but it is not limited to them.

While I never experienced this problem with PM, I have suffered the same
problem on various Windows emailers such as Outlook and Lotus Notes long
years ago.  However, the issue isn't encoding.  When you say random
characters, I assume you can see correct sentence partially and it
starts to corrupt in a middle of the sentence, right?

This is due to "Gomi" byte got within the multiple byte sequence, might
be caused by (a) the sender's mailer such as one running on Windows
English with Japanese Locale (Windows require so called Far East Package
in order to have the true Japanese OS dlls, and it ain't cheap), or (b)
sender's server gateway that drops the control byte.

Here is an interesting side notes.  Berklee has huge percentage of Asian
students.  They use their own email interface for students.  When you
receive Japanese email, and setting encode correctly, you can view most
of the sentences but not all.  However, when you hit Reply, all will be
displayed correctly in the quote section.  I have no idea why it is this way.

Back to the topic, when I had this problem on Windows, I had to ask the
sender to resend in HTML format (yeah, so much of anti-HTML!).

I actually don't know how much PM is contributing to this problem since
I have not seen it with PM, but now I am very curious if you could
receive the same message with Mail.app to compare.

--

- Hiro

[PROTECTED]
<[PROTECTED]> <[PROTECTED]>