Sure. If I rename an attachment, or move several attachments together
into a folder; they  lose connection from the email message that they
come from. Pretty weak.

I can't say for sure if my old emails (2004) lose their connections to
the attached files by themselves or not, because I eventually group all
the attachments together by year (at least) so as to keep the current
attachments folder less cluttered & easier to find recent attachments.
Best,
 Dave Nathanson
 Mac Medix