Hi folks

I seem to be unable to recover from a database issue - no access anymore
to my email database...

Starting last Thursday I ran into database issues. After doing a 'compact
database' (after PM 5.0 had warned me that I was coming close to the 2GB
limit) the night before, when retrieving emails I got alerts saying:

A database error occurred
Class = 'DB  '; what=100; when=9; err=158

Initially it showed up once, then twice then more and more (now seemingly
indefinite number of times). I had to quit PM 5.0 (though it told some
connection is still in progress? There wasn't any connection/process
displayed) and upon starting it again PM 5.0 starting rebuilding the sort
index, and after a few minutes showed the error message

A database error occurred
Class = 'DB  '; what=100; when=100; err=493
OR  (in retrospect I am not sure anymore)
A database error occurred
Class = 'DB  '; what=100; when=9; err=158

Then I tried to do a low level database rebuild and got the error message:

An error occurred while rebuilding the Message Database file.

Clicking on More info I got:

A database error occurred
Class = 'DB  '; what=100; when=100; err=493

As PM insists on doing a sort index build when launched - which fails
with a database error - I am not in a position anymore to even access all
my emails.

I had done a backup of my PM 5 files right after compacting the message
database, and made a copy of that and put that copy on my hard disk, then
just started to retrieve all my messages again. Right away I got the
"Class = 'DB  '; what=100; when=9; err=158" error again repeatedly.

Next I made a copy of the PM 5 files folder, and trashed the Message
Database and the Message Database Index (so I could keep all my set up
but have no messages at all). Everything looked OK (except of course
there weren't any messages), and then upon retrieving messages from my
email account, right away I got the same "Class = 'DB  '; what=100;
when=9; err=158" error again - which is weird...

Next I made a fresh environment, and retrieved my emails - which now went
OK. Problem is, I still neither have access to my emails from the last
years nor can I use the setup (hundreds of folders and filters) anymore.

Some info about my context:
- Mac OS X 10.3.4, 1GB RAM, 5 GB free disk space, 12" PowerBoook,
SpamSieve installed
- database has probably some 250.000 messages and a size of 1.2 GB (after
compacting from nearly 2GB last Wednesday night)
- several hundred folders
- a few hundred filters
- on my most relevant POP account close to 4.000 messages are waiting to
be retrieved (I leave them on the server for two weeks)
- the database (I assume that's the "server side database") is in a state
where it says it needs to retrieve about 1.000 out of those 4.000 emails
(as the other 3.000 had already been retrieved previously)

BTW - I have also tried all of the above with most recent 5.1 version of
PM as available today on the CMTdev website. Until today I had been using
5.0 though.

Any advice more than appreciated - I am seriously stuck.

Olaf Druemmer