YES:

Mathematical and logical skills, yes. But I really don't think you need to do more than ask them what educational qualifications they have.

Being them Italian students at the university level, having an educational qualification is not often a good indicator of what skills they have (sadly)

Previous programming experience - the best criterion might be number of languages known, but if you're working at a lower level then your suggestions are fine - loops and conditionals and function definitions.

Yes, most of them have no knowledge at all about programming

NO:
linguistics, no (plenty of good computer scientists whose native language is English aren't good at spelling and punctuation)

I see. But don't you think that, among those people that don't know anything about programming, someone being very good at punctuation could perform better at programming? I'm thinking to the classical Logo example to draw a square:

repeat 4 [forward 100 right 90]

that is, when rephrased in plain english:

repeat 4 times move 100 steps and turn right.

Interpreting this with the right punctuation "repeat 4 times: move 100 steps and turn right" or with the wrong one "repeat 4 times: move 100 steps. Then turn right" makes a difference. I noticed that some students are better at grasping this difference, other students need more time (or don't grasp the difference at all). Can this be evaluated in a pre-test?

other domains - nothing good found so far.

There is very little that anyone can do that will predict specific success at learning to program, other than general tests of ability.

ALSO:

One other thing I would recommend is a test of self-efficacy. Someone else must know more about testing that than I do. Self-efficacy means, roughly, believing in your own ability; there's evidence that people who believe in themselves do better than people who don't.

I hadn't thought of it. But I can imagine that it can be influential. Do you have references to research on this topic?

DISCLAIMER

There are people on this list who know a whole lot more about this than I do. If they speak up, believe what they say, not what I said.

Thomas Green