That argument is fairly easy to make...
  1. it takes a long time to write code (even if you already know all your
requirements, and they don't change)
  2. In writing that code, programmers make lots of mistakes
  3. Each bug takes a LONG time to fix

Thus, reusing any components you can is a really good thing from an economic
perspective. They have already been written and lots of bugs have been
removed by other people. And, when they haven't, there is often at least an
awareness of the problems that already exist and possible workarounds.

Some estimates on the time it takes to write code:
  E = 5.2 * KLOC^(0.91)            (Walston-Felix)
  E = 5.288 * KLOC^(1.047)      (Doty: for > 9 KLOC)
  E = 3.2 * KLOC^(1.05)            (Boehm)

Experienced programmers typically make about 100 defects per thousand lines
of code.
  W. S. Humphrey, A Discipline for Software Engineering. Reading, Mass.:
Addison Wesley Longman, 1995.

In industry, defects that escape from the compiler take on average eight
hours each to find and fix in the testing phase.
  Laurie Williams Software Engineering Coursepack (
http://agile.csc.ncsu.edu/SEMaterials/CoursePack.pdf).
  Don't have a primary source available on this one off hand.