The time it takes to get things done in software is based on what the
software language abstracts versus what the person is trying to express.

For example, if I have a tool that can automatically display information
from a relational database, and the only thing I want to express is
displaying information from a relational database, then the task time will
come down to:

1) Does this tool already provide support for automatically displaying
information the way I want?  For example, heat map of the United States
(pretty common these days), or heat map of the human brain using a very
specific brain atlas that my data points require for correct coordinate
mapping (less likely).

2) If not, do I have to implement it myself, and how well do I understand
how to do that?  In particular, we could be talking about building an
entirely new user interface control, which means the event abstraction
facilities I have to deal with will likely determine my productivity; how
well can I actually use event abstraction to re-use event control logic such
as gestures on a touch screen or motion tracking interface?

3) Other things.

But here is a slight twist to your question, which I think is "Can I show
that a semantic model improves productivity for inherently semiotic tasks?"
Or something along those lines.  Since my examples above seem more like
issues of semiotics than anything else.