Yup, this is a very astute observation.  The deeper you are in a
compilation pipeline, the further you are away from the user's input.  If
there isn't enough info relating the compilation back to the user's input,
it is challenging to give helpful error messages.  This can also be a big
problem for debugging / profiling.  If the compiler applies tons of
optimizations to your code, it really scrambles up the mapping between
input source and the outputted executable.  This can make it challenging to
communicate with the user about which parts of their code are responsible
for performance issues.